I was asked when I was speaking at the MOB Conference in February 2018 what a few pieces I could recommend everyone have in their closets were. I was high on the good stuff at the time (adrenaline) so I'm not exactly sure what I said in response, but I'm sure it was something to the effect of "everyone is so different and has such different tastes that without knowing you it's hard to say exactly what I would recommend". But after giving it some thought, and taking a look at the items I wear/recommend constantly as a stylist, I have five pieces that EVERY mom (or just boss lady) can sprinkle over any wardrobe to start pulling the pieces in her current closet more together. Because the more put-together we look like (while still being ourselves!) the more people believe what we have to say.
I've chosen two trendy pieces and three classic pieces in this effort. Remember! Spend less on the trends and more on the classics. The classics will be with you longer and you need them to be the highest quality your BUDGET can afford. Notice how I didn't say the highest quality your BANK ACCOUNT can afford. Ha! Major difference there! So, here they are:
1) Duster Length Cardigan (trendy piece): Such a cute finishing piece to throw on over outfits (everything from work wear to athleisure). BONUS: It creates a long line (leave it open) and makes you look taller. Neat trick! Just don't let it go much past your knee for all my ladies under 5'5".
2) Pointy-Toed Slides (trendy piece): These quick, chic shoes are perfect for chasing a little out the door, because you know you put their shoes on first every time and forget they are just going to bolt out the door! BONUS: more leg elongation. Looks at those gams!
3) Black and White Striped Tee (classic piece): These go with almost everything, especially the finishing pieces, in your closet and look best if worn fitted and tucked into pants/skirts or loose/oversized and styled (half tucks, front tucks, tie ups, twist and tucks). MYTH: horizontal stripes especially medium/small ones, don't make you look wider. Just cooler. BONUS: black and white stripes are a great way to start dipping your toe in the pattern mixing pool!
4) Moto Jacket (classic piece): This badass little jacket can turn any mom into the coolest chick at the park. Rock it over some coordinating, monotone athletic wear, rock it over jeans and a tee, or rock it over a feminine sun dress for some cool girl contrast. BONUS: if it's cut to your hip or slightly above it also makes you look like you have longer legs (taller).
5) Tan Trench Coat (classic piece): Oh, the classic, classy, chic AF trench. It can elevate almost any outfit. It's true! It's the number one thing I suggest to mom's with businesses in fact because you have customers to impress and this piece will pull it all together.